Scripture and Observation:
The immediate sons of Israel have died, a generation passed away. A new Pharaoh has risen to power who did not know of Joseph, only of an ever growing Hebrew population that troubled him. He worried the Hebrews would choose the opposing side in a war. To keep control, the Egyptians enslaved the Hebrews and worked them very oppressively. Yet, they continued to multiply. The Pharaoh told the midwives to kill newborn boys, but they refused. God rewarded them for that. So Pharaoh told his own soldiers to kill baby boys.
This is when Moses was born. His mother hid him for 3 months, then put him in a basket in the Nile river where Pharaoh’s daughter finds him. Moses’ sister was watching, so she approaches the lady and offers to find someone who will nurse the baby. Moses mom is paid to raise and nurse him until the age of weaning, when she gives Moses to be the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.
After Moses is grown, he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew. He killed the man and hid the body. The next day he saw to Hebrews fighting and he reproaches them. They ask if he will kill them as he did the Egyptian. Moses flees, realizing his secret is discovered. He arrives in Midian and helps some girls, the seven daughters of the priest Reuel, water their flocks. As thanks, he is invited home and eventually welcomed to live with Reuel—as son-in-law! He marries the priest’s daughter Zipporah and has a son.
Meanwhile, back in Egypt the Pharaoh dies and the Hebrews cry out to God. And God hears.
This is a psalm of crying out to the Lord. The author feels utterly forsaken. And as did David, he reasons with God that there is no point in letting him die, because praises will not be raised to Him.
The chapter opens with Jesus in the temple watching the widow putting two coins into the treasury. Jesus declares that she gave more than the others, since it was all she had. Then Jesus speaks of the future, saying that many will say they are Jesus returning, many wars and natural disasters will take place. He warns that we should be alert, not fall for false profits and stay ready.
Application and Observation:
I find Psalm 88 following the Exodus reading very compelling. I imagine the Hebrews called out to God in just such a way in their oppression and affliction. Father, please bless me and keep me. Please save me from such despair. Preserve my family, Lord. Keep us knitted to one another so that we might encourage and admonish each other on the path of life.
Luke 21 tells the story of the widow’s mite. The homeschooling curriculum we choose offered as a gift a widow’s mite on a chain to be worn as a necklace. It was something to remind us, especially on those rough days, that we are giving more when we choose to homeschool our children. Many families choose to be double income households, so that family vacations and expensive toys can be enjoyed. While there is nothing wrong with that, I know that I embody the vacation and the toys in my life. I AM the boat and four-wheeler. I AM the trips to Disneyland. I AM the camper. I get to stay home and love my kids through the ups and downs of life. I get to instill the Truths of our Father God when we rise up, when we walk on the lane and we we go to bed.
I am not bragging, but praising Jesus for this life we are blessed to live. Thank you, Lord!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!